We, the members of Scientists for 9/11 Truth, challenge the official account of the events of September 11, 2001. In particular, we challenge the official account of the destruction of the World Trade Center provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), acting under the Bush-Cheney administration’s Department of Commerce. According to NIST’s reports, the Twin Towers were destroyed solely by the impact of the airliners combined with the effects of the ensuing fires, and WTC 7 was brought down by fire alone.
Besides questioning the accuracy of these reports by NIST, we also question their scientific integrity. We do so primarily because of NIST’s refusal to seriously consider the possibility that explosive materials of any type may have been involved in the destruction of the WTC Towers and WTC 7. That explosives were involved is indicated by several lines of evidence, including:
- The manner in which the buildings collapsed: too fast, too symmetrical, and too uniform to be caused by heat from random fires.
- The collapse of WTC 7 at free-fall acceleration for over 2 seconds (more than 100 feet), indicating that the columns below were providing zero resistance.
- Testimonies by dozens of credible witnesses that explosions were going off in the buildings.
- Observation of temperatures in the rubble that were higher, and of far longer duration, than can be accounted for by normal fires.
- Observation of anomalous particles in the WTC dust that indicate the use of explosives or pyrotechnics.
We ask the president to authorize a new, complete, unbiased investigation, with subpoena power, to identify possible criminal activities, both in committing crimes and in covering them up. This investigation could quickly proceed with a Special Prosecutor or a Forensic Science Panel, for instance.
We also ask the president to order the Justice Department to expedite the release of important 9/11-related videos, photographs and documents and to permit whistleblowers to speak freely.